A digital portrait of Miles Davis.
This portrait was drawn on an iPad Pro with the Adobe Illustrator Draw app.
1. I started with three layers, one for the rough sketch, another for the drawing line art and a black layer for the scratch board or “woodcut” effect.
2. Finished the scratch-board layer and continued adding detail to the drawing layer.
3. Added another layer with shadows and cross hatched it for textured effect.
4. Added an additional shadow layer and cross hatched it as well.
5. Added a color layer. Set blend mode to Overlay.
6. Added final highlights and details. Completed
Animation of drawing stages:
Miles Dewey Davis III (May 26, 1926 – September 28, 1991) was an American jazz trumpeter, bandleader, and composer. He is among the most influential and acclaimed figures in the history of jazz and 20th century music. Davis adopted a variety of musical directions in a five-decade career that kept him at the forefront of many major stylistic developments in jazz.